Image: Manuel Marin on Unsplash.com

Puerto Vallarta is a well-known Mexican tourist destination famous for its beautiful beaches and vibrant nightlife, so it’s no surprise that many choose it for their vacation.

From there, many purchase their tickets to the area, book their accommodations, we recommend www.barcelo.com/en-ca/occidental-nuevo-vallarta/, and enjoy these aspects.

However, there are other enjoyable aspects that are often overlooked: a series of charming nearby towns that offer a unique and authentic experience.

La Cruz de Huanacaxtle

There is no doubt that La Cruz de Huanacaxtle is a beautiful town on the Riviera Nayarit with a wonderful charm, not only visually but for various reasons.

Why visit?

World-class marina. For those interested in yachts and sailing, this is a place to explore the topic.

Sea market. On Sundays, you can enjoy a local market where fishermen sell fresh seafood and other foods.

Tranquil atmosphere. If you want to guarantee a relaxed environment, this is a wonderful option.

Delicious cuisine. Here you’ll find restaurants specializing in seafood and authentic Mexican cuisine.

Culture and music. At certain times of the year, you’ll find various cultural events filled with music.

Punta de Mita

For those wanting to continue exploring small towns, this is another interesting one, surrounded on three of its four sides by different bodies of water, and it boasts truly beautiful landscapes.

Why visit?

Exclusive beaches. Home to some of the most beautiful and exclusive beaches in the region, which are worth visiting.

World-class surfing. With waves for all levels, it’s a popular destination among surfers.

Varied accommodations. Ideal for those seeking a high-end vacation experience, though there are budget options available.

Gourmet cuisine. Dining here is a great choice due to the fusion of local and international flavors.

Whale watching. During the winter season, you can see humpback whales in the bay.

Bucerías

This town in Nayarit is best appreciated through its photos and videos. No wonder it’s among the most popular on the list, so consider it seriously.

Why visit?

Bohemian atmosphere. With a mix of local artists and expatriates, Bucerías has a creative and relaxed vibe.

Expansive beach. Perfect for long walks and water sports, and a beautiful backdrop for photos.

Markets and crafts. An excellent place to buy Mexican crafts and local products.

Restaurants and cafes. A wide variety of dining options, from street tacos to international cuisine.

Calm nightlife. Not all nightlife in these areas is wild; here it’s quite relaxed, with live music in bars for a laid-back night.

Sayulita

One standout feature of this town is the beach of the same name, although it’s not the only thing you’ll find when you decide to head there.

Why visit?

Surfing and yoga. Known as a paradise for surfers and yogis, with many schools and retreats.

Art and culture. Colorful murals, art galleries, and a vibrant crafts market.

Youthful atmosphere. A popular spot among young travelers and backpackers to connect.

Events and festivals. Frequently hosts music and film festivals, as well as night markets.

Lively nightlife. Bars and clubs offering live music and a festive atmosphere.

San Sebastián del Oeste

It might not be as close as others, but it’s still a great alternative and holds a good position among the towns in these areas.

Why visit?

Historical appeal. A colonial mining town with well-preserved architecture and cobblestone streets.

Mountain landscapes. Surrounded by mountains, ideal for hiking and leisurely excursions.

Coffee and local cuisine. Known for its coffee production as well as its delicious traditional food.

Peace and tranquility. A perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, with a serene and relaxed atmosphere.

San Pancho

From the moment you set foot in this town, you know you’ve made a wise decision. It’s less crowded and offers pleasant surprises for those who venture there with the best energy.

Why visit?

Artistic community. Home to many artists and musicians, with galleries and studios to explore.

Quiet beaches. Less crowded than other beaches in the region, perfect for relaxation.

Ecological projects. A focus on sustainability, with conservation and environmental education projects.

Cultural events. From music festivals to community markets, there’s always something interesting to do.

Surf culture. A great place to learn to surf or enjoy the waves.

Which towns will you visit?

These towns offer a variety of experiences that perfectly complement a visit to Puerto Vallarta. From the luxury and exclusivity of Punta de Mita to the historical charm of San Sebastián del Oeste, there’s something for every type of traveler.

We hope you’re inspired to visit at least one of these, though if you choose to explore several or even all of them, you have nothing to lose—in fact, quite the opposite.