Image: Nesnin Shamsheer on Unsplash.com

Times are tough for everybody, but none more so than for students who, due to full-time education, have limited additional time to earn income. It is, therefore, important for them to stay fit on a budget while at the university. This article provides a guide with actionable tips to help you stay fit on a budget during your time at Cambridge.

Takeaways

• University lead opportunities.
  • Low-cost activities.
  • Exciting events to train for around the city.
  • Ways to save money and stay fit.

Cambridge University

When you arrive at the university, there is an awful lot to take on board: new classes, new people, looking after yourself, finding out where the shops are, where the pub is, and what books you need. It’s easy to forget the university has a wide range of activities available to students and paid classes which are relatively low-cost, starting at just £5, or you can buy a 10-class pass for around £45. The good thing is this can be used over a three-month period, so if you start, I need a little extra time; you won’t have any time pressures to use all of the classes at once.

Student Clubs

Aside from the university-arranged clubs on student noticeboards, there will be other people just like you who want to stay fit. Consider joining any existing groups or even starting your own. There will be running clubs and other university-organized clubs, such as Rugby, sailing, and tennis, for example.

Gym Equipment

One tremendous but overlooked solution is to consider purchasing Group gym equipment. You can do this by scouring Marketplaces. If you know what you’re buying, you could choose a gym company like Mirafit, which offers competitively priced gym packages, including versatile gym-grade kettlebells. An easily forgotten benefit is that you can sell secondhand equipment to get as much as 50% of your money back. This is a one-off cost, unlike memberships, so it is controllable.

Park Run

Park runs are free to attend and a great way to get out on a Saturday morning when classes are finished and burn some energy. A drawback to relying on just Parkrun is that it’s only once a week, so your progress may be slow. However, it is still better than not exercising, and it’s free! To optimise your fitness, consider combining a student-run club with a weekend park run.

Countryside walks

Cambridge is one of the most beautiful and rural cities in the UK. It has a gorgeous river cam running through the centre, and there are many amazing country sidewalks. You can also walk along the river edge for large sections. Why wouldn’t you lean into this fantastic location and enjoy the seasons while you stay at university? Consider combining your country walks with revision or discussion with others on your course; it is a great way to share ideas and bring each other forward. Also free.

Bodyweight exercises

Using your body weight to perform exercises is a straightforward way to improve fitness without cost. If you want to, you can buy a yoga mat, but body exercises are a great way to burn calories, stay fit, and improve your functional strength and mobility. Press ups, situps, star jumps, lunges and squats can be performed using body weight. They also use larger muscles in the body, which means more calories can be burned.

Next steps –

We have provided six cost-effective ways for you to stay fit on a budget at university. Cambridge also has impressive events and fitness meetings around the year. It’s worth being aware of these so you can fit them into your diary and use them as a goal to train towards.

Cambridge half marathon

Perhaps you are aware of this, or perhaps you’re not, but the Cambridge half marathon is one of the most popular half marathons in the country. It is really well-supported, and the city is behind this fantastic event. If you like running and think you’ve got 13 1/2 miles in your legs, then we highly recommend this brilliant race.

Here are some other significant events to consider:

• Invigorate: Fitness activities to improve well-being – 50% discount at Better for Invigorate members Swimming sessions will cost £3 instead of £6 Gym sessions will cost £5 instead of £10

Don’t forget social

Several social media sites provide student groups and groups for people in the Cambridge area who want to stay fit. It’s worth having a look to see if there are any you feel comfortable joining.

Important

While it is a great idea to join groups and experience the city, it is important to stay vigilant, as it is in any City in the UK. Remember to take precautions and ensure that you are letting your housemates know where you are. If you are in doubt, seek advice from the university support staff, who will be happy to provide advice and additional recommendations. 

Final thoughts

If you want to stay fit on a budget in Cambridge, it is perfectly possible. We have provided six great ideas and some important dates for 2025. Cambridge’s environment is naturally quite rural and magical, which is why Cambridge is so special. We highly recommend that whatever you decide to do to improve your fitness, you consider walking as one of the brilliant ways to familiarise yourself with this amazing place and to enjoy some of the best features of this city. If you are trying to save money to stay fit, consider reading our article “Student’s Guide to Simple, Low-Cost University Room Decor.” This covers essential topics like furniture, lighting, shelves, room size, arranging your room, and some DIY steps, that might help you plan your home workout space. Now you’re armed with some great ideas, and with this, as a brief and helpful guide. Now go and enjoy a happy and healthy University experience in the beautiful city of Cambridge