Image: Brooke Cagle on Unsplash.com

As a student in the UK, you’re probably well aware of the struggle to make ends meet – after all, we are all familiar with the ‘Cozzie Livs.’ But did you know that a recent study found that 72% of UK students worry about making extra cash, and 38% report that financial worries affect their mental health? It’s no wonder that many students are turning to side hustles to earn some extra cash and ease the financial burden.

The good news is that there are plenty of side hustles available to students in the UK. From tutoring to dog walking, there’s something for everyone. And the best part? You can often work flexible hours, allowing you to fit your side hustle around your studies and other commitments. In fact, a recent survey found that 42% of students in the UK have a side hustle, with the most popular side hustles being selling items online, tutoring, and freelancing.

But what are the benefits of having a side hustle as a student? Well – how many benefits do you want? Not only does it provide some extra income, but it can also help you develop new skills, build your network, and even boost your CV. Plus, let’s not forget the satisfaction of being your own boss and earning money on your own terms.

So, whether you’re looking to pay off some student debt or just want to have a little extra spending money, consider one of these top side hustles for students in the UK.

Tutoring

Are you particularly knowledgeable in a certain subject? Why not put that knowledge to good use and become a tutor? You can offer your services to fellow students or even younger students in the community. Websites such as Tutorful or Superprof are excellent platforms to find tutoring opportunities.

Dog Walking

If you love dogs… Wait, what are we saying – everyone loves dogs. Why not turn your passion into a side hustle? Many dog owners work long hours and need someone to walk their furry friend during the day. You can sign up for platforms such as Rover or Tailster to find dog walking opportunities in your local area.

Freelance Writing

Consider yourself to be a bit of a wordsmith? Then why not consider freelance writing? Many businesses, websites and blogs are looking for writers to produce content every single day. You can create a profile on websites such as Upwork or Fiverr to find freelance writing gigs. We particularly love this one, because it gives you an opportunity to build on your own portfolio, so should this be something you want to pursue in the future, you will be one step ahead of everyone else.

Delivery Driver

Food delivery services such as Deliveroo and Uber Eats are always on the lookout for delivery drivers. You can work flexible hours, and it’s a great way to earn some extra cash while getting some exercise. Unless, of course, you have a car – in which case, what’s your excuse?

Social Media Management

This is one for the social media whiz. If you’re always on your phone, constantly scrolling, why not consider offering your services to businesses? Many small businesses struggle to manage their social media accounts, and they are often willing to pay someone to help them out. Websites such as PeoplePerHour or Freelancer are great platforms to find social media management gigs.

Translation

If you’re fluent in a second language, why not offer your services as a translator? Many businesses, websites, and individuals require translations for documents or websites. Websites such as Gengo are excellent platforms to find translation opportunities.

Event Staffing

For more traditional and casual work, event staffing is an excellent option. You can sign up with agencies such as Off to Work to find opportunities to work at events such as concerts, festivals or conferences. You never know, you might get to work at some pretty cool places along the way too.

Photography

If you have a talent for photography, why not offer your services to others? You can offer to take photos for events or even start your own photography business. Websites such as Shutterstock or Getty Images are great platforms to sell your photos online.

Side hustles offer a great opportunity for students in the UK to make some extra cash and ease the financial burden. As we’ve seen, there are plenty of side hustles to choose from, and with the flexibility they offer, you can fit them around your studies and other commitments. Remember, the key to success with a side hustle is to find something that you enjoy doing. And who knows, your side hustle may even turn into a full-time career after graduation.

So, whether you’re looking to pay off some student debt, save up for a holiday, or just have some extra spending money, consider starting a side hustle. With some hard work and perseverance, you can transform from a struggling student to a successful business owner, all while still studying at university. Who says we have to be broke students?