Image: jorono on Pixabay.com

It’s turmoil once again at the Stamford Bridge club, as the co-owner looks to replace Todd Bohely as the controlling partner.

We are approaching the second year since the Todd Boehly-led consortium bought out the Russian billionaire’s club ownership, and things haven’t necessarily been smooth sailing. Extorbinant spending in the transfer results and multiple managers have left all fans with Chelsea tickets, wondering about the club’s future.

Now, matters have worsened, with the club’s owners in disagreement.

Ownership Battle

Chelsea’s civil war has led to Clearlake Capital. This US private equity firm owns a majority shareholding in the club, so it is worth considering buying out Todd Boehly or striking a deal with the billionaire that would remove his influence and keep him in little more than a ceremonial role.

The atmosphere in Chelsea’s boardroom has deteriorated since the weekend, and Boehly, who wants the situation resolved as soon as possible, is confident he has investors ready to provide the £2.5bn needed to buy Clearlake’s 61.5% stake.

This is again more complicated for those with Chelsea tickets, whose sole objective is to see the club prosper on the field.

Clearlake, owned by Behdad Eghbali and José E Feliciano, is believed to be skeptical about the likelihood of Boehly making a suitable offer and is adamant it has no plans to sell.

Its view is that Boehly should sell up or accept changes to the club’s governance that would remove him from the board and strip him of any say over decisions in exchange for economic concessions.

It feels that Boehly should consider stepping down as chairman. Under current rules, the American will be replaced as chairman by a Clearlake nominee in 2027. The Boehly side deemed an immediate change a nonstarter.

One of Clearlake’s main aims is for minority shareholders to have no say over governance. Decisions currently have to be signed off by Boehly, Eghbali, and Feliciano. Any sale of shares or outside investment would have to be approved by all parties.

The prospect of Boehly, who has used personal money to fund his investment, agreeing to dissolve his power is understood to be nonexistent. A source pointed out that the ownership structure means he would have to sign off on a deal that would hurt him.

The latest noises underline splits have developed since Boehly fronted the consortium that bought Chelsea from Roman Abramovich in 2022.

There is little prospect of repairing relations. Boehly and his partners, Mark Walter and Hansjörg Wyss, share a 38.5% stake, which is split equally.

Claims that Boehly is looking to sell have been denied, although it has been pointed out that he would consider a “compelling” offer. He views his involvement as a 20-—to 30-year project, and sources have indicated he is plotting a full takeover.

Clearlake remains unmoved, though, and believes the power resides in its corner. Although moves have yet to be made, it is considering increasing its stake. It could look like negotiating with Walter and Wyss, but the main focus is on Boehly.

Boehly, who has extensive experience in sports ownership through minority investments in the US, took on major responsibilities in the summer after the takeover and stepped up as the interim sporting director.

But things haven’t been smooth sailing in England for the billionaire who’s had success on US soil. Fans with Chelsea tickets are furious.

However, Chelsea’s heavy spending backfired, and many of the signings made by Boehly did not work out. His position is that he never intended to be so hands-on and spent the first year putting in place a new sporting structure. He is focused on establishing a culture of winning.

Boehly has stepped back in the past 18 months, allowing Eghbali to take a prominent role. Chelsea has revamped their recruitment department, led by the co-sporting directors Paul Winstanley and Laurence Stewart. Eghbali has been heavily involved in day‑to‑day matters, particularly regarding transfers. Boehly’s position is that Eghbali should be less involved.

There are also differences of opinion over the redevelopment of Stamford Bridge.

The feeling within Chelsea is there would be no benefit to the disruption from Clearlake selling. Clearlake is aligned with Enzo Maresca, the head coach, and believes signing young players on long, heavily incentivized contracts will pay off.

There is full support for Stewart, Winstanley, and other recruitment team members.

Since Abramovich’s departure, there has been much upheaval behind the scenes. Chris Jurasek, the latest high-profile departure as chief executive, has been installed on a new management committee. Boehly is understood to be supportive of Jason Gannon stepping up as the chief executive.

Cole Palmer Denied Position Change

Cole Palmer faces the prospect of yet more Chelsea frustration after the Stamford Bridge hierarchy made a promise to a new arrival.

It’s been a hectic international break for Chelsea, who, despite the absence of on-pitch action, have found themselves in turmoil off it.

Reports claim the relationship between Chelsea’s co-owners Todd Boehly and Clearlake has been severed, and there is talk that the latter could look to buy the former out in the coming weeks and months.

It comes after two years of haphazard strategy from Boehly and co., with Chelsea’s transfer strategy being called into question several times.

And Chelsea’s key player is heavily affected.

Arriving on deadline day last year, Palmer enjoyed a stellar first season at the Bridge, netting 27 goals and providing 15 assists across all competitions.

While everything else was falling, the one hope that kept all the fans coming back with Chelsea tickets was Palmer.

However, according to the agent of one future Chelsea player, Palmer might have to make way from his preferred position in the coming seasons.

It comes after Palmer opened up about his best position on the pitch last year, telling the official Chelsea website: “I played left-back when I was Under-10. Then I played midfield. Then later, right-wing, left-wing, and striker. I made my first start at City as a striker.

“So I have played all along the frontline, but right-wing and no.10 are my best two positions, I would say.

“I played ten most of the time in the academy, and in the past three years, I’ve mainly played on the right wing. But I’m ready to help the team wherever I’m needed.”

If this becomes a reality, it will surely be Chelsea’s downfall, with their irregular overspending transfer strategy finally affecting their star prospect.

Fans with Chelsea tickets hope the new manager will be wiser than the owners.