Image: RachelW1 on Pixabay.com

The facade of a home is the first thing noticed about the property and as such, homeowners should pay special attention to it during its design stage. Measures should be put in place to protect it from harsh weather conditions, cracks, discolouration, termites, and heat absorption.

Cladding the exterior of your home is an effective way to get this done. There are some stylish yet effective cladding materials you can experiment with to protect and add charm to your home.

Whether your home is in its building phase or under renovation, below are some ideas you can choose from.

Standing Seam Cladding

This is what comes to most people’s mind when they are considering metal cladding for their home exterior.

As the name implies, the seams are placed in a ‘standing’ position, overlapping each other. The seams are malleable such that they can form any shape of your choice, thereby enhancing the visual appeal of your home facade.

Because the seams can be easily joined together, it makes it difficult for water to penetrate, thereby protecting the exterior walls from heavy downpours and other harsh weather conditions.

It is also durable, requires little to no maintenance and has high insulative properties—keeping the interior of your home warm at all times.

Wood Cladding

Nothing beats the timeless charm that timber brings to a home; therefore, wood cladding is definitely an option you should consider for your home exterior.

Your home exterior designer would know how to cut the wood to fit your building structure.

Use seasoned wood with a good sealant for long-lasting results; they are free of the moisture that causes wood to rot and are termite-resistant.

You can also use composite cladding, a sustainable and low-maintenance alternative that is made up of wood and plastic. Its plastic make-up will provide moisture-resistant and durable features, while the wood material gives your home exterior the timeless elegance only wood can bring.

High Pressure Laminates

Give your home facade a sophisticated and smart look with high-pressure laminates (HPL).

They are made to last and considered one of the most attractive materials for exterior cladding.

Also, they are termite, wear, chemical, and fire resistant and easy to install and maintain. There are different patterns and colours you can experiment with to make your home exterior as fashionable as possible.

Glass Panels

The light and serenity that come with glass panels are to die for. If your outdoor walls are painted white, you can consider using glass panels as a protective feature, it adds colour and provides an easy flow of light into your home interior.

Installing glass panels can also help create an easy and seamless flow from your home interior to the balcony or yard, as the case may be.

Tile Cladding

Tiles are an excellent option to consider for your outdoor cladding. They come in different types, colours, designs, and textures; you just have to choose the one that suits your building structure and personal style.

Below are a few you can choose from:

• Terracotta Tiles: This is perfect if your property is in an area that predominantly has hot weather conditions. It has the ability to regulate the heat in the atmosphere without the home interior being affected.

Since the tile is made of clay, it can be an eco-friendly addition to your property, giving it a warm and welcoming outlook.

Other beneficial properties are durability, sound resistance, and UV ray resistance.

• Mangalore Tiles: Also made of clay, this tile is perfect for homeowners that live around the seaside. It adds a visually appealing finish to your home exterior and protects it from waves and high tides.
  • Porcelain Tiles: These tiles are made of fine clay that has been drained of all moisture, thereby making it the perfect cladding material for your home exterior. It can provide protection against harsh weather conditions, UV rays, and moisture. It is also very durable and easy to maintain.

It comes in different colours, patterns and designs, so you can choose one that reflects your unique style and matches your building structure.

Stone Cladding

This is another effective option for your outdoor cladding. It adds a touch of nature to the general outlook of your property while serving the purpose of cladding.

Naturally occurring stones like trani stone, lecce stone, sandstone, limestone, travertine, and quartzite will make fine coverings for your wall when tapered into thin sheets.

Furthermore, using stone as a cladding material will give your building additional stamina and durability.

Stones obtained from nature have high porosity; therefore, it is advisable to use good sealant on the thin sheets before using it as a covering for your wall. This will prevent it from discolouration caused by hazardous environmental waste.

Conclusion

Cladding is an effective way to make sure your building stands tall over the years, never losing its appeal or attractiveness. Therefore, investing in outdoor cladding is never a waste of money. In the event that you decide to sell your property, it will generate a high return on investment that will blow your mind.