Image: Brooke Cagle on Unsplash.com

Malta has become a digital nomad hotspot due to its sunny climate, low taxes, strong English-speaking community, and excellent connectivity, and the Nomad Residence Permit conditions. Learn more about what makes the country an ideal base for remote workers — explained by Julia Loko, Investment Programs Expert at Immigrant Invest who knows all about immigration to Malta.

Benefits of life in Malta for digital nomads

Travel routes through Europe. Nomad Residence Permit holders can travel within the Schengen Area without a visa. The maximum stay in any other Schengen country outside Malta is 90 days out of 180.

Climate and lifestyle. Malta has a Mediterranean climate, with average temperatures ranging from 10°C in winter to 31°C in summer.

The country receives over 3,000 hours of sunshine annually, with more than 300 sunny days per year. Rainfall is minimal, primarily occurring between October and March.

The lifestyle is relaxed, with a strong emphasis on outdoor activities, cultural festivals, and a balanced work-life dynamic. Malta’s modern infrastructure includes reliable healthcare and education systems, and it is a popular destination for both expatriates and tourists

Special taxation. Digital nomads in Malta pay a flat 10% income tax: they are not subject to the local income brackets. Moreover, the first 12 months in Malta are income tax-free/

Education and childcare. Malta has various educational options, including public, private, and international schools. English is the medium of instruction in many schools, making it easier for expatriate children to adapt.

Childcare services, including nurseries and pre-schools. These services cater to working parents, ensuring that children are well cared for while their parents work.

English-speaking environment. English is one of Malta’s official languages, making it easy for digital nomads to communicate and integrate.

Safety. Malta has a low crime rate of 0.6 per 1,000 people. Violent crime is rare, and most issues involve petty theft. The Global Peace Index ranks Malta among the top 30 safest countries worldwide.

Cost of living. Malta offers an affordable cost of living compared to many European countries. Some examples:

• renting a one-bedroom apartment in popular areas like Valletta or Sliema ranges between €740 and €1,000 per month; in less central locations, rent can be as low as €500 and €700 per month;
  • utilities average between €80 and €150 monthly;
  • basic groceries like milk and bread are affordable, with total monthly food expenses around €200–300;
  • meals in inexpensive restaurants average €15;
  • public transportation is budget-friendly, with a monthly pass costing around €26–40;
  • mobile phone plans with calls and at least 10GB of data typically cost between €13 and €30 per month;
  • internet plans with speeds of 60 Mbps or more range from €26 to €33 per month.

Connectivity and infrastructure. Malta has excellent internet connectivity and widespread Wi-Fi access. The average internet speed is around 60 Mbps, and mobile internet penetration exceeds 110%. Wi-Fi access is widespread, especially in urban areas, including public spaces and transportation hubs​.

Co-working support. Malta has a growing number of co-working spaces. These provide high-speed internet, office amenities, and flexible membership plans.

There are regular events for entrepreneurs and digital nomads are held. These events are great for building professional connections and friendships.

How to get a digital nomad in Malta through the Nomad Residence

The Malta Nomad Residence Permit, sometimes referred to as Malta Digital Nomad Visa, allows non-EU nationals to live and work in Malta for up to a year, with the possibility of renewal. It’s aimed at those who can work remotely using telecommunications.

Applicants must meet one of the following criterion:

• be employed by a company registered outside Malta;
  • conduct freelance or consulting work for clients outside Malta;
  • or be a partner/shareholder in a company registered abroad.

Required annual gross income must be at least €42,000 regardless of the occupation.

Registered address in Malta is another requirement. To get it, applicants either rent an accommodation for 12+ months, or buy one.

Family members can be added to the application. This includes a spouse or a registered partner, and unmarried children of any age, principally dependent on the main applicant or their spouse.

Application and acquisition process takes around 5 months. The steps are:

1. Gather the necessary documents, including proof of remote employment, CV, letter of intent, income statements, health and travel insurance coverage, travel document copy, and a clean criminal record certificate.
  2. Submit application via the Residency Malta Agency’s online portal. You will need to fill out the application form, upload all required documents, and pay the €300 fee per applicant.
  3. Wait for the approval. If approved, you will receive a Letter of Approval in Principle and instructions on how to proceed with the residence permit issuance.
  4. Travel to Malta within the next 60 days. Upon arrival, you will need to finalize your residency status by registering with the local authorities. The process includes submitting your biometric data and paying an issuance fee of €27.5 per applicant. After that you will receive your residence card, which allows you to stay in Malta for up to one year.
  5. Extend the permit. After a year, you can renew your status. To be eligible for that, you must continue to meet the eligibility criteria, including proof of remote employment and sufficient income. In total, the permit can be renewed three times, making the maximum period of stay 4 years. The renewal process is similar to the initial application and must be completed before the current permit expires.

What to do if the Malta Nomad Permit is denied. While the Residency Malta Agency does not specify denial reasons, digital nomads can reapply in 1 year.

In a nutshell

Malta digital nomad residence can be obtained through the government-endorsed Nomad Residence Permit. It allows non-EU nationals who are employed abroad to stay for 4 years and work remotely. To get more information on how to get Malta nomad residence, contaсt a consultancy firm.