Image: Julio Cesar Velasquez Mejia on Pixabay.com

The world is a vast and diverse place, with cultures of all shapes and sizes contributing to the tapestry of life. From music and medicine to food and fashion, the unique perspectives and experiences found around the globe all inform the way people approach life and the world. One of the most lauded benefits of travel and exploration is the wisdom and perspective that come from broadening one’s horizons and bringing those experiences home.

Diverse perspectives are valuable in many walks of life, including the medical field. Dr. Yasir Jawaid understands this better than most, having been shaped and inspired by his unique life experiences both in the United States and abroad. His rich experiences in various cultures and environments have shaped his unique perspective on life and medicine alike.

A Childhood of Travel

Dr. Yasir Jawaid’s childhood and early life diverged significantly from many others. Born originally in Houston, Texas, he and his family would move to a small company town in rural Pakistan when he was still young, in the desert region of Sindh. He grew up playing sports and building lifelong friendships in that community, but eventually, the family relocated and settled in Karachi, the City of Lights and Pakistan’s largest metropolitan center. His time in Karachi would form the foundation for his love of urban environments and the diverse mixtures of people and cultures they often foster, with a specific interest in cities’ diverse culinary landscapes.

“Karachi holds a special place in my heart,” Dr. Jawaid says, “its palpable energy left a lasting impression on my younger self.”

Karachi could not hold Dr. Yasir Jawaid forever; the time soon came for him to continue his education and take the first steps on his career path. From an early age, Dr. Jawaid had been drawn to medicine for its ability to satisfy his scientific curiosity and his desire for meaningful human connections. After getting his initial medical degrees from Baqai Medical University in Karachi, he knew his academic journey could only continue back in the United States.

A Journey of Education and Experience

The breathtaking serenity of West Virginia’s Appalachian landscapes played host to his internal medicine residency at Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine. “The rolling hills, dense forests, and winding rivers were a world apart from what I had known,” Dr. Jawaid says, thinking back. “It was a period of intense learning, both in medicine and in experiencing a completely new environment.” A far cry from his upbringing in Pakistan, the lushness of his surroundings was a comfort and boon during the rigorous academic studies he completed there.

As he progressed through his studies, a small cluster of specialties stood out to him. He was fascinated by physiology and pathophysiology, but specifically how they pertained to cardiac and pulmonary disorders. This early realization would guide his later residencies and experiences toward internal medicine. A three-month clinical observership at UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital would fully actualize his career, inspiring him to choose critical care medicine as his specialty for its fast pace, complexity, and diversity of pathology.

The next stop on his medical journey was completing his fellowship, which took him to the bustling and iconic New York City via the Mount Sinai Hospital. Dr. Jawaid immediately felt at home in the urban energy that was so familiar to Karachi. “The constant motion, the diverse population, the endless opportunities—all of these elements combined to create an atmosphere that resonated deeply with me,” Dr. Jawaid says. “I found myself completely immersed in the city’s rhythm, balancing the demands of my medical fellowship with the excitement of exploring one of the world’s greatest cities.”

The contrast between West Virginia, New York City, and his childhood in rural Sindh directly provided Dr. Yasir Jawaid with the broad perspective of life he still holds today. Even the difference between West Virginia and New York City alone demonstrated the diversity of cultures and lifestyles in the United States, and that understanding has profoundly influenced both his professional approach and personal outlook.

After finishing his fellowship in New York City, Dr. Jawaid’s next step required yet another change of scenery. Few places in the United States offer more diversity in lifestyle, culture, career, and perspective than the nation’s Capitol, and so Dr. Jawaid made the move to Washington, DC. It’s a choice that has greatly enriched his life. In his own words, “Living in DC has given me a deeper appreciation for the intersection of medicine, policy, and society… you’re at the heart of where national decisions are made, including those that affect healthcare.”

Values and Beliefs

Dr. Jawaid’s values are largely centered around what he can control. Open-mindedness and mental persistence are perhaps the most concrete values he holds, and those beliefs are forged by his diverse experiences. He credits his personal and career successes to this straightforward philosophy, saying, “My journey to America was marred by many failures. I was able to overcome those failures through persistence and developing thought processes that are able to consider the multifaceted outcomes of complex decision-making.” Dr. Jawaid views this philosophy as one of high ownership; in the hospital, his responsibilities to patients and colleagues are his alone, and it’s his job to find the right solution and not leave things undone. 

Dr. Yasir Jawaid draws from his broad experiences and cultural observations every day, as they significantly inform and influence his values, philosophy, and perspective. He is consistently expanding his horizons and seeking new perspectives, regardless of the source. From the prestigious academic journals he reads today to the varied and sundry jobs he worked earlier in life, there is always something new to learn. To Dr. Jawaid, there are no bad jobs. “All of them provided me with great insight and developed me into the well-rounded human being I am today,” he says.

So how does someone with such an interesting life story and diverse background define success? To Dr. Yasir Jawaid, success is internally defined and held—if a task brings satisfaction, peace, and pride in alignment with his principles, he has succeeded. Larger, more material ambitions are only relevant to the extent they serve that final satisfaction. To Dr. Jawaid, it’s simple: “Life works in mysterious ways. In the end, if you are surrounded by people you love who care about you, then you have won.”