Image: Pexels.com

Grey skies, frequent showers, and chilly breezes are the cornerstone of autumn in the UK. For students, who might be struggling through exams and loads of homework, the yearning for a break settles in during this grey season. However, many students live on a budget, resulting in them thinking that they have no way of escaping the autumn weather. Luckily, there are numerous affordable travel destinations, which are perfect for students who wants to trade their umbrellas for sunshine and adventure without going bankrupt. On www.hellotickets.co.uk/ students can start by checking out some of the many and affordable locations they can travel to. 

Lisbon, Portugal: Affordable charm on the coast

The capital of Portugal is the perfect getaway for UK students who wants to experience a mix of history, culture, and beaches as a low cost. Many budget airlines offer cheap flights going from the UK to Lisbon, making it a destination well-connected and accessible for budget-friendly travellers. Once in Lisbon, you will find there are many affordable accommodation options with student discounts. 

You can wander through the narrow streets of Alfama, the oldest district in Lisbon, and enjoy the panoramic views of Miradouro de Santa Catarina. You should also make sure to visit the UNESCO World Heritage site Belém Tower. Getting around the city is easy and affordable, as the public transportation system is simple and cheap. A single tram or bus ride is only a couple of euros, and especially the tram is a popular and famous way to explore the city. You can also indulge yourself in local food and try local dishes like ‘pastel de nata’ and ‘bacalhau’ for a cheap price. 

Budapest, Hungary: The best value city in Europe

The capital of Hungary as earned a reputation for being a best value city in Europe. This makes the city ideal for students who are interested in visiting Eastern Europe in an affordable manner. The city offers budget-friendly food, with meals not costing more than £5-£7 and beer being around £1-2. 

Once in Budapest, you will quickly notice the city is split into two by the Danube River, marking the Buda and the Pest side of the city. You can fill your days walking along the Chain Bridge, hiking up to the Buda Castle, visit some of the famous thermal baths, or explore the grandeur of the Hungarian Parliament building. 

Krakow, Poland: Experience history and culture on a budget

Another Eastern European gem is Krakow. The well-preserved medieval architecture and vibrant culture scene has made Krakow a perfect location for students on a tight budget. Many budget airlines offer cheap flights between the UK and Krakow, making it an easily accessible destination. Furthermore, Krakow is known for its cheap but delicious street food, including the Polish-style baguette ‘zapiekanka’ which at most places cost less than £2. The city is also full of affordable hostels and transport options. 

One popular and free attraction to visit while in Krakow is the Rynek Główny, which is the largest medieval square in Europe. Close to this you will also find the iconic Wawel Castle and dragon statue, offering local legends and historical insights. If you are interested in the history of World War II, you can go visit Auschwitz-Birkenau which is located a short distance from the city. 

Valencia, Spain: A Mediterranean getaway

When hearing Spain, most people immediately think about locations such as Barcelona and Madrid. However, Valencia is often forgotten, despite being a laid-back and affordable alternative to these popular but also more expensive options. Located by the coast, Valencia is the perfect destination for students wanting to soak up some of the Mediterranean sun without breaking the bank. Once in Valencia, the culinary scene is a treat, also for budget travellers. You can try ‘paella’ which originated in Valencia, or you can head to some of the city’s food markets to pick up fresh produce. 

The city has a lot to offer on the attraction side. You can walk through the City of Arts and Sciences or rent a bike and explore the Turia Gardens. This is one of the largest urban parks in all of Spain. You can also head to the beach, which is just a short bus or bike ride from the city centre. 

Sofia, Bulgaria: A hidden Balkan gem

Even though Bulgaria might not be the cheapest location overall, the capital constitutes a surprisingly affordable European getaway. It is common to find cheap flights from UK to Sofia, especially when booking way in advance. Both food and accommodation in Sofia is cheap, with a meal in local restaurants being around £5. 

The city has a lot to offer. You can visit Roman ruins, Byzantine churches, and communist-era monuments all in one afternoon, as the city is one big blend of architecture manifesting various time periods. The most iconic landmark of the city, the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, offers free entrance. You can also go on outdoor adventures to the Vitosha Mountain, which is located right outside the city, where hiking is a great possibility. 

Final thoughts

As evident in this article, escaping the reality of autumn weather in UK is not impossible, as there are many well-connected and cheap travel destinations, which are perfect for a student budget-friendly getaway. There are many ways to save money on trips, including staying at hostels, buying flights well in advance, and eating at local restaurants, making it possible for students in the UK to treat themselves.