Nick Morris on Unsplash.com

How to Create and Share Study Guides in Different Formats

If your study sessions traditionally involve poring through months’ worth of lecture notes leading nowhere, you are just wasting your valuable time. This is particularly true for exam preparation when the piles of papers and textbooks you need to look through cause only one desire – hit the ground running. We all have been there. But what if we tell you that there is a way to make the process easier so that you can deal with it in a breeze and have more time to catch up on things you love the most? A well-designed study guide makes it possible! Let’s reveal all the intricacies of its creation along with the best format you should opt for to craft a guide that actually works for you.

How to Make a Study Guide

Creating a study guide offers more benefits than one might imagine. It’s not just a collection of valuable information but a powerful tool to stay focused on essential things, dropping out all the not-so-important stuff you are already well-versed in. Additionally, working on such a guide is studying in itself, which actually yields many more results than simply reading through the lectures over and over again, hoping to memorise everything. So how to create a study guide with no hassle? These steps will come in handy:

1.     Define Your Learning Goals and Gather Relevant Materials

Determine the purpose of your guide and skim through your learning materials to gather the relevant information. This may be your books, notes, PowerPoint presentations, online resources – basically anything you have used during the classes. You can also browse the web for additional materials to disclose the topic in depth.

2.     Choose a Tool for Effortless Study Guide Creation

The choice of the right tool for study guide creation is of paramount importance since it can simplify the process greatly and help you customise materials according to your needs. The best and most popular options include:

• Microsoft Word: having this app installed on your PC or mobile device, you can create study guides in DOC or DOCX format offline using a pretty nice set of editing features. Please note that Word files may lose formatting when shared and opened on other devices or printed out.
  • PDFGuru: a cutting-edge online PDF creator with the widest range of features for structuring and editing study guides. You can also use it to convert PDFs from/to dozens of other formats, as well as password-protect, compress, split, organise, and merge your files.
  • Google Docs: a web-based alternative to the Word app known for its advanced collaboration features. However, the number of editing instruments is limited compared to the above-listed options, so the service is better suited for simple, text-based study guides.

3.     Take Action and Structure Your Study Guide

Determine the layout and structure of the file guided by your own convenience and learning style. Start by outlining the key sections focusing on the most challenging concepts and ensure the information is easy to follow. To make the material well-organised, use headings and subheadings. What’s more, add bullet points and numbered lists where possible.

4.     Leverage the Power of Visuals

Visual elements can enhance the efficiency of your guide, making it easier to understand and learn the material. To say more, different data visualisation techniques have long been used to simplify complex information, increase memory retention, and foster critical thinking. If you are a visual learner, try to include the following elements in your study guide:

• Images and illustrations
  • Diagrams, tables, and flowcharts
  • Infographics
  • Flashcards
  • Concept maps
  • Videos

5.     Review Content

Check the accuracy of the material and ensure that it’s easy to find the needed information. In addition, share the guide with your study group or classmates to get some fresh ideas on content enhancement. Collaborative learning allows you to better understand the subject and benefit from the insights of others. 

Best Study Guide Format

Whenever you are seeking the best format for study guides, opt for PDF since it outperforms its counterparts in a variety of ways:

• Compatibility. PDF is the only format which can be viewed seamlessly on any device without downloading third-party apps. Hence, you can be sure that a guide created on a PC will open on your phone or tablet with no layout distortion. That’s why the format is also ideal for sharing.
  • Ease of use. No tech knowledge or software installation is needed to create PDF file if you take advantage of the top-notch online tools like PDFGuru. It will take you just a few minutes to master its functionality even if it’s your first time creating files online.
  • Interactivity: PDF also incorporates the greatest number of interactive elements to make your learning experience more engaging, efficient, and pleasurable. Therefore, you can enrich your study guide with video and audio elements, GIFs, buttons, hyperlinks, checklists, quizzes, and many more.

Final Thoughts

Wrapping up, it’s worth saying that the efficiency of a learning process depends primarily on the motivation and involvement of a student, as well as their ability to invest some effort to achieve great results. Since a study guide serves as a powerful roadmap on a fascinating learning journey, take time to make it informative and well-organised. This is when the portable document format comes in handy, so create PDF online to deal with the process quickly and efficiently.