Image: JoeBarnz on Pixabay.com

When Kieran Kichuk was 25 years old, he shocked everyone by winning the Emerald City Invitational. As a new black belt, most people didn’t think he had a chance, and many had never even heard his name.

He entered the competition as the lowest-ranked fighter, the odds stacked against him. But to everyone’s surprise, he defeated three top fighters, including the world champion, and became a star.

This victory was a turning point in his career, the result of hard work and skills that allowed him to gain recognition on the international stage. That day, and every day since, Kieran Kichuk continues to prove that even an underdog can rise to the top—so long as they have the right work ethic and determination.

Inspired by a Legend: Kichuk’s First Encounter With Martial Arts

Kieran Kichuk was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, but spent the first five years of his childhood living in San Diego, California. His family eventually moved back to Canada, settling in Markham, Ontario.

Growing up, Kichuk’s family was very active, especially his father, who had been a national-level track runner and an NCAA D1 athlete in college. His father’s influence pushed Kieran to take an interest in running, which he was already used to doing with his parents and three siblings.

He participated in his school’s track and field program, competing in both local and regional competitions. While he loved running, his interests eventually shifted when he was 13. That’s when he saw Georges St-Pierre competing in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), and crushing his competition.

As a proud Canadian, Kichuk felt that his country wasn’t well-represented in international sports, particularly at the professional level. So, seeing Georges St-Pierre, a French-Canadian athlete, dominating in mixed martial arts (MMA), was motivating.

Despite recognizing that martial arts was a newer sport in his country, he quit the track and field program and went on to join the wrestling team instead.

Early Influences and Big Wins

Kichuk initially started practicing Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. However, after a short six months, he realized that he was much more interested in grappling, so he gave up Muay Thai and put all his energy toward Jiu-Jitsu.

Kichuk’s first instructor was Steve Lin, a black belt who had a significant influence on his early training days. Under Lin, he went from a white belt to a brown belt, a huge accomplishment in the world of martial arts.

In 2010, Kichuk got the chance to train with the Medal Chasers, a prominent competition squad. This was the result of Lin’s gym connecting with Team Lloyd Irvin, a well-known coach in the industry. This allowed Kichuk to improve his skills alongside some of the best fighters in the sport.

In 2017, he started training with Fernando Zulick, an instructor known as Gringo. Three years later, in December of 2020, Kichuk experienced one of the proudest moments of his life when Gringo handed him his black belt—earned after twelve long years of hard work.

Kichuk has reached numerous other milestones in his career. He has been victorious at the IBJJF New Orleans Open and placed on the podium at the Pan-Am Championships. One of his biggest accomplishments was winning the AJP Canadian National Pro Championship, a major title he earned when he was still a brown belt.

When he competed in the Emerald City Invitational in 2022, the course of his career changed forever. This international competition finally got his name out there, catching the attention of people all over the world. This win opened doors to even bigger opportunities and set him up for more success down the road.

Technique and Style in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Kieran Kichuk is known for his submission-based style of fighting. He focuses on finishing his opponents rather than winning by racking up points. His go-to move and specialty is the triangle choke, a submission technique where he traps his opponent’s head and arms between his legs.

He’s become so good at the triangle choke that he can set it up from several different positions. This makes it difficult for his opponents to defend themselves and fight back; most end up tapping out.

Kichuk’s style may be aggressive, but it’s also calculated. Rather than relying solely on his strength, he uses timing and precision to catch his opponents off guard. His goal is to end the match with a submission, and fans enjoy watching him because they know he’s not just going for a decision win. This makes him a tough opponent to beat in his division.

From Competing to Instructing

Kieran Kichuk isn’t only a competitor—he’s also an instructor. He creates engaging and accessible content for his students, entirely online. He became a best-selling instructor on BJJ Fanatics, a website where top fighters share their techniques.

Kichuk’s instructional videos are focused on his submission-based style, with a particular emphasis on the triangle choke. In his most popular course, “Lock & Strangle Triangle Mastery,” he breaks down this and other techniques in a way that’s easy for students to understand and try themselves—even if they’re just starting out in Jiu-Jitsu.

His ability to teach is one of the things that sets him apart from others. He doesn’t just show people how to do moves, but shares the mindset and strategy behind each technique. This makes his lessons valuable for beginners and more experienced fighters, and especially those interested in grappling.

Instead of keeping his knowledge to himself, he enjoys sharing what he’s learned with others. Through his lessons on the specifics of grappling, he’s helping the next generation of fighters grow.

The Growth Mindset That Keeps Kichuk Going

Kieran Kichuk has made his way from a young track athlete to a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu champion, proving everyone wrong in the process. His success didn’t come from just one big win, but from years of practice and determination. What makes his career special is his belief that hard work is the key to achieving anything worthwhile.

At the heart of his career is a deep respect for the power of perseverance and work ethic—values he learned early on from his parents. He knows that talent alone isn’t enough. It’s the effort and dedication you put in that really counts.

This belief has been reinforced time and time again in his life as he’s watched numerous athletes waste their potential, while others who are less gifted have fought their way to success. Those are the stories that inspire him the most, where mere willpower is what keeps someone going.

Kichuk firmly believes that enjoying the process of growth and improvement is just as important as reaching the final goal. His philosophy on success isn’t only tied to financial gain, although that’s certainly part of it. Rather, true success for Kichuk comes from loving what you do and constantly growing as a person and a professional.

Even with all his accomplishments, he knows there’s always room for growth. Every day, he’s focused on getting better, whether he’s competing or teaching.

He’s not just a champion—he’s someone who never stops pushing to improve, both personally and professionally. This dedication is what drives him, and that passion for consistent growth ensures that there are more great things up ahead for him.