Image: Domenico Loia on Unsplash.com

Dan Worra, a native of Rantoul, Illinois, has spent his life in service and leadership. After graduating from the University of Illinois with a degree in Economics in 1989, Dan embarked on a 24-year career in the U.S. Navy. During his time in the Navy, he completed five deployments, amassed over 2,100 flight hours in the EA-6B Prowler, and undertook 640 carrier landings across 11 different aircraft carriers. His career also included service on two Admiral’s staffs, including a tour at the Pentagon, and a year as Senior Advisor to the Minister of the Interior in Afghanistan.

Post-Navy, Dan transitioned to roles at General Electric and eventually served as the Executive Director at the Port of Anacortes for eight years. In 2024, he took on the role of Chief Executive Officer at Camp Korey, a non-profit organization that provides empowering, adaptive year-round programs for children with life-altering medical conditions. Dan’s passion for leadership and service continues to shape his work and community involvement.

How do you stay inspired and motivated during challenging times?

I look around and reflect on how blessed we are. In today’s world of social media, people usually only post the good things in their lives, and it looks like everyone else is doing great while you have personal or professional challenges. So, stop looking at social media! Look at yourself and see what you can do to improve your situation. If it is within your control, work on it. If it is outside your control, don’t worry about it; there is nothing you can do about it. Spend your time and energy on things you can control, not things you cannot.

What’s one trend that excites you?

Artificial Intelligence! I read an article that stated the changes between 1850 and 1950 were the most drastic of any 100 years. From the agricultural age to the industrial age, I imagine being born in 1850 and living 100 years; you would be witness to some amazing life changes. I think the computer age and advances in AI could potentially change our world in unimaginable ways.

What are some of the biggest challenges facing your business today?

Sustaining our camp with fundraising. We are approaching our 20th anniversary, and we need to raise approximately $5M a year to operate. We are in Paul Newman’s Serious Fun Network, and many camps in the network face the same challenges we do. There is a lot of competition for philanthropic giving, and we need to tell a compelling story. We have a compelling story, but not enough people know it.

What advice would you give to someone seeking a career in your industry?

If you’re looking to feed your soul, willing to give 110%, and help other people with life-altering medical conditions, then jump in with both feet. If you want to make money and get accolades and recognition, look elsewhere.

If you were to start again, what would you do differently?

I don’t live my life with regrets. I don’t like looking in the rearview mirror unless it will help me in the future. I put the past behind me and tried to look through the front windshield to figure out a way forward. I try to give my all in every endeavor, and win or lose, success or not, that usually means I’m happy.

Why is your city a great place to live and work?

We live by the ocean, the mountains, and the forests. The climate is moderate year-round, 20-80 degrees, with limited exceptions. We live in the shadow of the Olympics, meaning our rainfall is half of what it is in Seattle. Skagit County is a wonderful place to raise a family.

What single project or task would you consider your most significant career accomplishment?

Serving my country in the U.S. Navy for 24 years is my most significant career accomplishment. I’m proud of being a veteran. Only 5% of Americans can say that. I’m proud of the achievements I accomplished at the Port of Anacortes. There isn’t a single achievement that stands out, but the incremental improvements that we made as an organization have had a tremendous positive effect on our community.

Do you have any hobbies or interests? How do you like to spend your free time?

I love working on projects around the house. A long list of crossed-off “honey-do” items is so satisfying. I like taking something apart, fixing it, and putting it back in service around the house. Whether it is an old clock, the washing machine, or a leaky faucet. I love taking advantage of doing things outside. I love playing golf with my friends and going boating with my family and friends. Our area has some of the best waters for boating in the world. My wife and I try to put 100 hours on the boat (motor) each season. We can leave the marina, and in 15 minutes, you are in an entirely different world. It is peaceful and relaxing, and it recharges my soul.

Please share a quote that you have found particularly meaningful or inspiring.

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” Mahatma Gandhi. My second favorite quote has been popularized by Yoda: “Do or do not; there is no try.” I think many people don’t like the quote because it doesn’t account for trying your hardest and still not succeeding. I think the quote is more about going into a situation with the right mindset—positive. I CAN do this!

We extend our sincere thanks to Dan Worra for taking the time to share his insights and experiences with us. His commitment to service, both in his professional and personal life, is truly inspiring.