Image: jorono on Pixabay.com

If you are a Tottenham fan with tickets, life is tragic. You do everything right as a fan, but you don’t seem to get it right in the end.

The same goes for Spurs manager Ange Postegclou.

He’s done everything he can as Spurs manager, but he doesn’t seem to see his efforts translate into results.

The Brighton game was a clear example of this. Fans who had last-minute tickets from the secondary ticket marketplace were delighted by the team’s early lead, only to leave the stadium depleted after the 3-2 loss.

The Brighton Disaster

If only there were a word for that sort of performance from Tottenham. At half-time, they were 2-0 up and seemed utterly in control, Dejan Kulusevski and Brennan Johnson ripping Brighton apart down the right. It felt like a good night for everyone with Tottenham tickets.

They were so dominant that the instinct was to start recalling great Spurs collapses of the past – 3-0 up against Manchester United in 2001, 3-0 up against 10-man Manchester City in 2004, the leads lost in the two 5-2 defeats by Arsenal in 2012, 2-0 up against Chelsea in the Battle of the Bridge in 2016, 3-0 up after 82 minutes against West Ham in 2020 – if only because it seemed so unlikely something similar could happen again.

But the Spursiness of Spurs is never to be underestimated.

This was the 10th time Spurs have lost a Premier League game, having been two goals up. No other side has done it on more than seven occasions.

As Giorgio Chiellini observed after Juventus had scored twice in three second-half minutes to transform a Champions League tie Spurs had seemed to be dominating in 2018, “This is the history of Tottenham.”

In retrospect, the first half had a couple of warning signs, such as the sense that Brighton could slice the Spurs open.

The tone was set within 16 seconds as Dominic Solanke released Timo Werner behind Joël Veltman; again and again, the away side hit the space Chelsea had exploited last week.

Fabian Hürzeler has insisted the issue is not the height of the line but a lack of pressure on the ball. Still, playing a line that high with players as slow on the turn as Lewis Dunk and Adam Webster means there is no failsafe, such as Spurs enjoy with the pace of Micky van de Ven.

The loss of Webster to what appeared to be a hamstring injury after nine minutes only complicated matters further. Igor Julio came on, but Jan Paul van Hecke was badly missed.

Even allowing for the fact that Werner is not, it’s fair to say that Cole Palmer is as lethal as Cole Palmer. The surprise was that it took 23 minutes for Spurs to take the lead. The method was entirely predictable, as Georginio Rutter was dispossessed, and Solanke fed Johnson to score his sixth in six games.

The stands were electric, and the fans with tickets from the secondary ticket marketplace assumed it was a good day.

The second, similarly, resulted from a simple transition, Solanke holding off Igor to play in Werner, who teed up James Maddison.

Spurs could have got more before the break.

Postecoglou said that Spurs should have “put the game to bed”. He seemed almost shell-shocked afterward, standing on the pitch for a lengthy period and then acknowledging that his side hadn’t done the basics, that they hadn’t competed after half-time.

It wasn’t just that they were open in the second half; it was that the life went out of them. Had more than three of this side played away to Ferencvaros on Thursday, it might have been tempting to blame fatigue, but there were no obvious explanations and no excuses from Postecoglou’s point of view.

After a promising start to the season, Brighton had run into a slightly sticky spell, failing to win any of their previous four league games. There have been 20 goals in their past four games in all competitions; that might not be sustainable, but it is fun. Pervis Estupiñán’s arrival for Ferdi Kalioglu at left-back helped shore up that side, and, with a more solid platform, Kauro Mitoma suddenly was able to impose himself.

Brighton deserves credit, of course, but this was about Spurs’ collapse. Postecoglou said he’d seen nothing like this from his side before. Still, there had been elements of similar wastefulness against Leicester and Newcastle, games in which Spurs were the better side for significant periods but failed to win.

And that, perhaps, is the true curse of Spursiness, the sense that there are always three teams on the pitch: Spurs, their opponents, and the demons of their worse natures.

For those with Tottenham tickets, it was one of the toughest losses they’ve witnessed in the last two seasons. While manager Postecoglou appeased the fans, he knew he was on the wrong end of the problem.

Spurs need solutions and fast.

Spurs Looking for Big Signing in January

Tottenham Hotspur’s early-season struggles have prompted manager Ange Postecoglou to consider new additions to rejuvenate his squad.

Currently positioned ninth in the Premier League, the team’s unsatisfactory performance, highlighted by a recent 3-2 loss to Brighton after leading 2-0, underscores the need for strategic reinforcements.

The regular fans with Tottenham tickets from the secondary ticket marketplace welcome this move wholeheartedly.

Javi Puado

Football Transfers reports that Espanyol winger Javi Puado has caught the attention of Spurs’ scouts. The 26-year-old Spanish international, notable for his performance with three goals in eight La Liga appearances this term, is seen as a potential winter signing.

A decision must be made soon, as Puado’s contract expires at the end of the season. This gives Spurs a chance to engage in pre-contract talks or secure a cut-price deal in January.

Although the Spurs are already equipped with strong wingers like Brennan Johnson and Son Heung-min, the allure of adding Puado at a reasonable cost or even free could be tempting. Johnson’s current form, with goals in six consecutive matches, and the reliable performances from Son and others pose a question: does Tottenham need another winger, or is this move more about seizing a valuable opportunity?

Spurs’ interest isn’t limited to Puado. The North London club is also eyeing Crystal Palace’s Eberechi Eze and Torino’s Samuele Ricci.

However, securing Eze, who has a £68m release clause in his contract, could be challenging, with clubs like Manchester City, Liverpool, and Arsenal also in pursuit. Ricci, with a price tag of around £18.4m, adds another layer to Tottenham’s strategic planning to bolster their squad competently.

Spurs must act fast, as their loyal fans with Tottenham tickets anxiously await their manager’s next move.

Options for Spurs games are now available in the secondary ticket marketplace.